Advanced Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries
The DAN Advanced Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries provider program is designed to:
• Demonstrate how to assemble and prepare the manually triggered ventilator (MTV) and bag valve mask (BVM)
• State the benefits of using the MTV and BVM for a nonbreathing diver
• Demonstrate how to provide oxygen first aid with the MTV resuscitator on a breathing and nonbreathing diver
• Demonstrate how to provide oxygen first aid with the BVM to a nonbreathing diver
Minimum Hours of Training
Knowledge development (lecture) hours = 1
Skills development (practice) hours = 2
This module is taught as a three-hour program. The time needed to teach the course varies and depends on many factors, including the number of students and their ability to process the educational components of the program.
The instructor must ensure participants are familiar with each of the following:
• Oxygen resuscitation systems (MTV and BVM)
• Providing advanced oxygen first aid
• Recommendations for Advanced Oxygen Providers and equipment use
The instructor must ensure each course participant can successfully perform the following:
• CPR review
• Resuscitation with an MTV
• Resuscitation with a BVM
At the end of the DAN Advanced Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries course, participants will be able to:
• Inspect the MTV and/or BVM and determine readiness for use
• Outline the circumstances for using the MTV and/or BVM
• List the directions for ventilations with the MTV and/or BVM
• List the potential problems associated with the use of the MTV and/or BVM
• List the considerations for effective ventilations with the MTV and/or BVM
• Describe the characteristics of effective ventilation using the MTV and/or BVM
• Explain the steps to follow for cleaning, disinfecting and maintaining the MTV and/or BVM
• Disassemble and reassemble the MTV and/or BVM
• Demonstrate the correct technique for testing the MTV and/or BVM
• Demonstrate the correct technique for using the MTV 100 and/or BVM to resuscitate nonbreathing divers (During training this will be done on a manikin.)
• Demonstrate the correct technique for using the MTV 100 to provide oxygen to breathing divers
The nature and scope of this course is limited to training Oxygen Providers to provide first aid, using the MTV and/or BVM for nonbreathing injured divers.
This course does not provide complete training for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or advanced airway-management skills.
Course participants must complete the DAN Advanced Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries examination with a minimum passing score of 80 percent. The instructor will review the examination with each participant to ensure mastery of the material.
The course costs $75 for a group class. The tuition includes all books, supplies, and certification card for the course.
Ready to become an advanced oxygen provider? Contact us to sign up!